[Grace-core] Fwd: [Grace-interest] Progress on New OO language "Grace"

James Noble kjx at ecs.vuw.ac.nz
Mon Dec 6 14:24:32 PST 2010

Hi Éric

> Sorry I've been really silent on the list, because of lack of time. But now I see this remark of Sophia and I couldn't agree more. It reminds me of the invited talk of Dave Ungar at ECOOP (09?), where he talked about designing languages top-down by considering values->principles->practices, instead of going by example, or bottom up.

yes, I remember that talk. OK, no I don't, I remember one of his OOPSLA keynotes, whic counded similar.
I found this one which is at least Dave talking in 2009 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ka4KY7TMTU
and he says its a "reprise" of the ECOOP talk.

> It would be really helpful to have (and discuss) the values/principles/practices statement of Grace.

so we do have a set of principles and values (or things like them)
in the Manifesto and the Panel presentation - or at least a start.

For me at least, the design decisions we're making now are precisely
about how to balance the principles and how to realise them in a language.

cheers