[Grace-core] On numbers and objects

Kim Bruce kim at cs.pomona.edu
Sun Nov 7 23:37:56 PST 2010

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your very complete comments.  The distinction you make is indeed an interesting one.  I have always found Java strings difficult to teach to novices as they don't quite fit into any of the 4 categories.  In particular, they are pre-existing/built-in, yet one can write "new String("hello")" and get a distinct object from that represented by just "hello".  Our "egal" notion of equality will help here, but locating String entirely within pre-existing/built-in will also help.

I do like the idea of adding enums to the language, probably with a built-in "toString" method, possibly one that can be overridden as well.

I'm not quite sure what might lie in the constructed/built-in category.

Kim