[Grace-core] Fwd: Some notes on pattern matching on the wiki

Andrew P. Black black at cs.pdx.edu
Tue Jul 5 15:50:32 PDT 2011

On 5 Jul 2011, at 05:47 , James Noble wrote:

> So the result would look much like Self code in practice - basically no explicit self sends; self only used to get the value -
> but the conceptual model would be quite different: everything inside this object isn't a send, it's just a lexical lookup
> (tweaked for inheritance perhaps).
>
> It's probably (partly) important here that Simula & Beta use "inner" calls on methods,
> rather than Smalltalk-derived "self" sends (that dynamically dispatch down to "subclass implementations"
> and super calls...

Ewan already said this, I think:  self sends are not the same as lexically bound procedure calls.  My extenders can override or define methods that are self-sent, but not things that are lexically bound.  Java's private is lexically bound, in effect, which is exactly why private is such a problem: adding that modifier changes not just access permissions, but also the binding rules.