[Grace-core] Fwd: Some notes on pattern matching on the wiki

James Noble kjx at ecs.vuw.ac.nz
Sun Jul 10 17:53:23 PDT 2011

Kim wrote:

> How does this work in practice?  Is it private only if there is no method with the same name?  I thought all accesses of instant variables (private or not) were to be through the methods?

yes!

> It seems like keywords would be necessary.

yes, keywords or something else would be necessary.

>  What am I missing?

I'm not sure...

I've just responded to Andrew's earlier email...

I wonder if some of this is confusion over the semantics of "private" ?
 - Java-style Private being class-wide lexical bindings
 - Ruby-style private meaning private to the object, dynamically dispatched, by only accessible via self calls.

then (for the Ruby design) there is the question of whether the self calls
 - may or must have an explicit self receiver
 - may or must have an implicit self receiver
 - whether the explicit/implicit distinction changes the underlying semantics