[Grace-core] Encoding classes

Andrew P. Black black at cs.pdx.edu
Mon Jul 18 12:59:50 PDT 2011

On 15 Jul 2011, at 2:34, James Noble wrote:

>> My conceptual model is like this: an object understands request for ALL of its methods, even the protected ones ("private" in your terminology).  So a class with a method _helper has a different type from a class without the method _helper.
>
> We could do it that way - I guess we have to decide, I don't know what's best.
> I guess the question is: do we put *all* the information about a class into its type, or not?

No, we don't put *all* of the information about an object into its type.  *All* would include all of the implementation details, for example.   We put only as much as is necessary for our purposes.

If our purpose is to type-check clients, then we need to put all of the client-visible information.  If our purpose is to type-check inheritors, then we need to put all of the information on which inheritors can depend.   If we can to use one type for both, then we need the join of those types.  Alternatively, we could have two types: one for inheritors and one for clients.

I've just started looking at Kim's "LONG BUT IMPORTANT" message.

And I'm confirming that we have moved todays teleconf to 14:00 tomorrow Pacific