[Grace-core] San Jose meeting

Andrew P. Black black at cs.pdx.edu
Mon Jun 6 18:27:14 PDT 2011

Hi Eric,

Thanks very much for sharing your thoughts.

On 6 Jun 2011, at 18:00 , Eric Tanter wrote:

> Just two quick comments on what you report here.
>
> - nominal/structural: Donna Malayeri came up with a nice way to actually have both (in essence a type really has two components, a nominal one and a structural one, which are optional in the syntax). ECOOP'08 I think, the language was called Unity.

I've taken a quick look at her these, which is on the same topic, and emailed Donna in the hope that she might be at FCRC.  She's not, but will be moving the MSR Redmond in August.   She also includes open classes, which is important to at least some of us (assuming that we have globals; if we don't, I'm not sure that open classes are necessary.

> - module system: the Racket experience tends to suggest that a very useful feature is to have explicit exports in modules, with renaming support in both imports and exports (ie. you can import X as Y, and export Z as T). That's very helpful so that you can implement your module as you believe it should, with the names you like, and don't have to worry about clashes with what you import and what you (have to) export.
>
> Hope this is somewhat useful (sorry if that was obvious/already discussed)

Yes, indeed.  That was one common criticism of Traits: that we allowed renaming on the way out, but not on the way in.