[Grace-core] More thoughts on modules

Andrew P. Black black at cs.pdx.edu
Thu Jun 9 18:44:04 PDT 2011

On Jun 9, 2011, at 3:29 AM, James Noble wrote:

> I understand Andrew would still like a very general "extends" operator on
> arbitrary objects: I'm happy with a very confined extends syntax which
> can only extend a particular *class* and only by calling new.
> (i,e. all extends must be extends C.new(...) )
> That's what 0.1 spec says, which is where I thought we had agreed.

For the sake of getting 0.1 out, Andrew was happy to allow the only examples of extended object to be appearances of C.new(...).  Andrew did not imagine that this would forever exclude other objects from being extended, e.g. singletons (which would have a role like Self traits objects), or objects constructed using a message other than new.  He just thought that these things would be discussed later.

	Andrew (speaking for Andrew)