[Grace-core] Minutes of Teleconference 2011.10.23-24

James Noble kjx at ecs.vuw.ac.nz
Wed Nov 23 17:12:23 PST 2011

This telecon carried on from where we left off last week -

 * I've typeset the version of _last weeks'_ discussion and attached it below.

  - I'm not sure much new content was added this week, other than a consideration
    of distinguishing "dynamically bound methods" from "lexically bound functions"
   at either or both of definition and  use

  - and reconsidering if we want the "ML/lisp" style complementarity
     where functions = variables + lambdas  (i.e where writing
      fun foo(a,b) = { body }
     means the same as
      var foo = { a, b -> body }

* talked a little about about private/public defaults
  (consider methods public, def/var private)

* talked again about underscore as a sigil for Java's "protected"
    where methods beginning with "_" can only be requested on self.

* require visibility of types to be as much or more visible than any methods
   with arguments and results of those types  (so a public method cannot return
   a private type, if indeed we have private types)