[Grace-core] some thoughts on structural types & pattern matching

Andrew P. Black black at cs.pdx.edu
Sat Sep 10 08:26:45 PDT 2011

On 9 Sep 2011, at 22:36 , James Noble wrote:

>> Being able to trap Message not understood errors is one kind of reflection.
>
> yep - and quite a powerful one.

Indeed!  Being able to do this is a valuable facility, and one that I would want o include in some way or other.  But it's not something that I would include in the "beginning student" language level!  What I would want is an explicit indication in the program that one is "going meta".

>> Being able to ask whether or not a message will be understood is another.  Typecase does the latter, does it not?
>

> yep, that's pretty much it.

So it should be flagged as "Meta" ?