[Grace-core] [A Graceful Blog] Comment: "From Lancaster to Portland"

James Noble kjx at ecs.vuw.ac.nz
Mon Sep 26 14:39:30 PDT 2011

> Big Mistake from Emerald: having a distinguished object whose type is None.

Ok - so what do you suggest instead...

> It's equivalent to Tony Hoare's "Billion dollar mistake", although of course, our's wasn't nearly that expensive.  Maybe $50.42 :-)

I thought Tony's mistake was *not* having such an object - or rather, permitting nil in every type.

Grace's types will distinguish between types that include nil, and types that don't.

In dynamically typed code, of course, with the Harold Wilson switch off, people can always write  "var i : Integer = object {}"  and it will work fine...