[Grace-core] The Vesta Configuration management system

Andrew P. Black black at cs.pdx.edu
Fri Jul 13 09:10:19 PDT 2012

I just added two TRs to the background papers directory.  They describe the Vesta configuration management system and its configuration language.

I was reminded of this work while laying in bed thinking about how we might define "platform".  I haven't re-read them; I'm not sure how much of this work would be relevant.

The other thing that occurred to be about "platform" is that it presents a federated namespace, like a distributed name server or the Unix file system: you can't tell from a name who is resolving the name.   I remember that this idea was an "ah ha!" when I first heard about it in 1987, but I'm not sure what the definitive reference is.  Maybe the OMG name server, which was based on the DEC name server?

http://www.inf.fu-berlin.de/lehre/SS02/corba/doc/01-02-65.pdf