[Grace-core] Dialect Design Proposal

Andrew P. Black black at cs.pdx.edu
Sun Nov 25 12:26:56 PST 2012

On 22 Nov 2012, at 15:52, James Noble wrote:

>  dialects are modules,
> and each module is reified to only one module-object no matter how
> many times it is imported into a program.

There may be reasons to do this, but it is something new.  Up until now, we have said that files = modules have an implicit

	def <filename> = object { … }

wrapped around them, which means that each time I import it, I get a new object.

Implementing restriction using a checker seems OK, but  it seems to me that we need a standard one, and a standard annotation (perhaps "is local") for the checker to look for.

The discussion about not being able to inherit from objects convinces me that not being able to inherit from objects is ungraceful.   Eash new workaround that we invent to get around this wrong-headed restriction makes the restriction itself look more like a wart than a patch.   In particular, it's worse than the disease it was supposed to cure.