[Grace-core] Dialect Design Proposal

Andrew P. Black black at cs.pdx.edu
Mon Nov 26 07:21:50 PST 2012

On 26 Nov 2012, at 2:34, James Noble wrote:

>> There may be reasons to do this, but it is something new.  Up until now, we have said that files = modules have an implicit
>>
>> 	def <filename> = object { … }
>>
>> wrapped around them, which means that each time I import it, I get a new object.
>
> I'm pretty sure you've only got a module once per program.
> Otherwise, if say two different modules import module "A" - surely they should share the same module-object?
> It's hard to see how you could communicate between modules otherwise.

Yes, I agree with all of that.  It's just that we now have two inconsistent stories.  We need some way to make them consistent, probably along the lines of "we wrap object <filename> = { <contents of file> } around contents of file only when it does not ...  start with some preamble text.
Like module name = { ...

But we have to spell this out.