[Grace-core] Minutes of Teleconference 3-4.09.2012

James Noble kjx at ecs.vuw.ac.nz
Mon Sep 3 16:23:00 PDT 2012

* talked about SIGCSE paper - Kim will anonymise & submit

* Generics
  - current implementation: can write generic method calls, generic types, generic classes
  - if generic method parameters are *not* supplied in the call, they default to dynamic

* Going onwards
  - Kim put up LOOJ paper
  - Kim proposes List<> as abbreviation of List<Dynamic…>
     - Java uses this "diamond" but with completely different semantics
  - James mentioned option of raw classes but no raw types
  - Note that Go has only 4 generic classes but not a generic type system
  - Another option is DList is defined as List<Dynamic> …
  - given a method List.new<T> , if we know LIst's type, should we be able to call it as just List.new
  - talked over wildcards, confirmed we don't think we need them, because you can always write a structural sub interface

** after the call finished, Michael mentioned types for blocks: Java & C# infer there too

* next meeting: 2.45 - 4pm monday pacific --- 9.45 - 11am tuesday NZ

random stuff
- http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5/pdf/generics-tutorial.pdf
- http://bracha.org/decon-java.pdf