[Grace-core] Inheritance and Template Objects

James Noble kjx at ecs.vuw.ac.nz
Fri Apr 5 19:44:01 PDT 2013

> What I'm hoping for is a succinct explanation of the proposal that you have in your head that you are comparing templates to.

Here's my current take on the classical proposal:

Classes define families of objects:

> class C.m(mm) { body }

Classes are instantiated by calling their constructor method as a normal method request

> C.m(mm)

Classes can inherit from other classes by writing constructor calls in the inherits clause.

> class D.n(nn) {
>      inherits C.m(nn)
> }

Object constructors can create tailored objects, optionally inheriting from classes.

> object { inherits C.m(mm);  body }

and that's it.

cheers