[Grace-core] [Minigrace] minor nits - should imports be inherited

James Noble kjx at ecs.vuw.ac.nz
Mon Dec 2 19:31:20 PST 2013

> For displaying I could go with display or show.  Haskell uses "show" and it seems quite natural.  I agree that print no longer makes any sense.

I'd quite like show (or display, or inspect, or debug)  to do stuff graphically.

that's different from "print" which prints to a default textual output stream

Looking at   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hello_world_program

they have 9 examples, 4 use "print" (or "printf / println")
2 use "writeLn" or "writeLine"
2 use log
1 each "echo, "alert", "puts"

Looking at 180 examples in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Hello_world_program_examples

33 were versions of "print", 18 of "write" the rest in the list below.

There are lists of hello world in 300+ programming languages at the bottom of that Wiki pages if anyone wants to do further analysis.

now I really should get back to something a bit higher priority!

James

write x7 writeF, writes, WriteLine x 5, write output, writeln x3

trace x2

put_line x2, putStrLn, puts x2, put

display x7, display dialog, disp x2

drawString

⎕←, <<,

megabox, msgbox x5, traytrip, alert x2, MessageBox

print  x19, printf, x2 println x8, printfn, print1, princ, print_endline

log x2

cat

echo x4

say x3, shout, sayRegion

show_message, show x3

please read out, out.string, Out<, OutText, output x2