[Grace-core] Web-based compiler problems

Kim Bruce kim at cs.pomona.edu
Tue Dec 10 13:06:17 PST 2013

On Dec 10, 2013, at 12:53 PM, James Noble <kjx at ecs.vuw.ac.nz> wrote:

>> I just loaded it fine under FireFox.  It apparently is a Safari problem.
>
> I'm on Safari 6.1 on 10.8.5. generally the examples seem to work OK.

Can you try to load objectdraw.grace from the Objectdraw2013 folder?

>> Another Safari problem is that the console output does not appear in the bottom left of the window, making the implementation pretty useless on Safari.
>
> it starts at the top left, scrolls down to the bottom, then keeps on going...

I did create a different error (on purpose) and it does show up below the text pane.  The odd thing about objectdraw is that nothing shows up.  I did like how in the old version it told you what you were doing so you knew if it was still compiling.

>> We should either fix it or put a warning in the paper that it does not work properly in Safari.
>
> earlier versions had a "don't use Safari" overlay so they wouldn't run.
> we could put up a warning, but it's better if it runs there and elsewhere.
>
>> I hope the gtk material can be integrated into the main web-based stream relatively soon as the lack means I can't use it for most of my demos where I am doing graphical applications using the objectdraw library.
>
> Alex and Scott are working on a graphics layer will run on both gtk/C and DOM/JS.
> The hope to have something to show Andrew tomorrow or friday.
> I think the plan is to move objectdraw over to that substrate.

That would be fine.  The key for me is to have a stable platform for teaching.  I was trying to set up some demos for class tomorrow and each platform was having its own issues.  I could get dialects working on one but not another, get objectdraw on the other but not the first, so in the end everything had to be a compromise!