[Grace-core] Teaching Racket at First Year...

James Noble kjx at ecs.vuw.ac.nz
Fri Jan 25 01:16:06 PST 2013

Mathematics Is Imprecise

Prabhakar Ragde (University of Waterloo)

We commonly think of mathematics as bringing precision to application domains, but its relationship with computer science is more complex. This experience report on the use of Racket and Haskell to teach a required first university CS course to students with very good mathematical skills focusses on the ways that programming forces one to get the details right, with consequent benefits in the mathematical domain. Conversely, imprecision in mathematical abstractions and notation can work to the benefit of beginning programmers, if handled carefully.

I think it has appeared though: Comments: In Proceedings TFPIE 2012, arXiv:1301.4650

Looking at the paper, it seems he wants a language with a "mathematical" syntax (as in Haskell) but with straightforward eager evaluation.
(which is why Bob Harper teachers ML...)

James