[Grace-core] Visibility of variables and constants in Objects

Michael Homer mwh at ecs.vuw.ac.nz
Wed Jul 3 03:03:15 PDT 2013

On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 9:57 PM, Andrew P. Black <black at cs.pdx.edu> wrote:
> On 3 Jul 2013, at 02:27 , James Noble wrote:
>> this is currently caught by "no shadowing" - the program should be rejected.
>
> I was under the impression that Michael convinced us that the no shadowing rule was impractical and that we threw it out.  Maybe my memory is faulty?
It is doable for local variables, but not for anything that is part of
the interface of an object. For locals it still makes the code more
fragile, but it's possible to fix it when it breaks, unlike for
methods. I don't remember if it was decided to get rid of the rule for
everything or not.
-Michael