[Grace-core] On Gradual Typing

James Noble kjx at ecs.vuw.ac.nz
Mon Jul 22 03:46:37 PDT 2013

> I would propose that we require declaration of abstract methods in the core language.  To me it is very much like the decision to require declarations of variables.  If you want something to be recognized, it should be declared.

yes... but what're the semantics of an abstract method?
that it *must* be overridden in a subclass.
I don't see why that's so important that it has to be in the core

> Otherwise you get the same problem with typos as with missing variable declarations.

I'm not against abstract methods. My question is why we need anything more than
  "method x is abstract"
and that annotation doesn't have to be in the core.