[Grace-core] On Gradual Typing

Lex Spoon lex at lexspoon.org
Fri Jul 26 06:01:48 PDT 2013

On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 6:31 PM, Kim Bruce <kim at cs.pomona.edu> wrote:
> If inside the body of an object/class definition, you write self.m and there is no m in the
> definition, then I would like the programmer to be warned about this.

At the risk of repeating other people, the "complete" idea works well
for this problem. If you write "self" in an object that is marked
neither complete nor abstract, then give self the gradual type.

Regarding compiler modes, I would distinguish gradual typing from
"just ignore the errors". The idea is that a gradual typer knows
*which* errors to emit. It knows *which* errors a programmer really
ought to care about. When working with a gradual-typing compiler, the
norm is still that you respond to all error messages.

Lex Spoon