[Grace-core] Minutes of Teleconference 2013.07.31

James Noble kjx at ecs.vuw.ac.nz
Tue Jul 30 17:35:20 PDT 2013

* Andrew talked about building the compiler and/or pushing changes
    he's working on getting g-unit up and running again

* Indentation: talked about it.

  **   I think we're keen on - indentation is based at the _start of the line_
        not than the "actual column of the syntactic unit"
        this also means that we only worry about the number of spaces
        never the number of actual characters

  ** no construct that disables indentation conformance

  ** curlies on methods & classes - keep for now.      But consider revisiting.

* Talked about the question of blocks with not enough arguments:
    repeat (number) times { block }
    for (iterable) do { each -> }
    for (iterable) doWithIndex { each, index -> }

* Mentioned the issue of adding stuff to the standard library.
    ** story we said so far:  family inheritance :-)
   - pragmatically, in minigrace, we need some way to be able to write Grace methods onto system classes...
   - philosophically, we need a better answer than that
        (which may require magic, multiple inheritance, or both...)

* next meeting: same time, Tue 3pm US/Wed 10am NZ, Tue 2300 UK

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20130806T23&p1=1234