[Grace-core] fixing REPL's

James Noble kjx at ecs.vuw.ac.nz
Wed May 1 18:09:49 PDT 2013

On 30/04/2013, at 19:37 PM, Lex Spoon <lex at lexspoon.org> wrote:

> Redefinition works beautifully in Scheme, Smalltalk, Emacs Lisp, and Self,

right - although one of the things I'm (slowly) learning about Grace
- no doubt obvious in hindsight - is because we're optionally/gradually typed
much of the design can be closer to a dynamic language as the execution
cannot depend upon the types. In that sense we have a defined semantics
(and a defined parse :-) for type-erroneous programs -- mostly dynamic
errors of one sort or another.

but perhaps this is one of the situations where this isn't the case.

I saw a demo of an MS tool here which had a "workspace" sort of model
in a live coding style - lines of code on a web page,graphical results in between,
you could edit the code and it would be re-executed.