[Grace-core] minutes of teleconference 6.11.13

James Noble kjx at ecs.vuw.ac.nz
Tue Nov 5 15:05:14 PST 2013

* talked about general stuff

* Andrew invited us to a Kanban board  - can we use this to track stuff we're doing?

** Revise Dialects paper for ECOOP 2013 **
    ** everyone should read the paper **
    - type checker
    - better examples
    - deal with reviewer's comments, most of which are minor.

* what to do with NZ Summer students:
  = ?how much legacy code do we want to create? =
  - collections and test - Michael/Andrew's version
       - dictionary do
  - networking
  - web server
  - javascript on the command line  (node.js support) --- has Tim done 90% of this?
  - gibber? (sound!)
  - 3D?

  - picking up Dr Racket?  Java (build from JRuby)?  PyPy?

* language / spec / compiler issues
  - what is in the prelude (and how do we change it)
  - virtualise the literals: (booleans?),  numbers, strings, "[,,]"
     - consider [,,] for sequences, [ "a" => 3, "b" => 4 ] for Dictionaries, as a dynamic constructor
     - another reason for [,,] as a special case is precedence rules
  - single guilemots for raw strings..

* James' mad idea of an "explainer" that gets called to produce error messages,
    by pattern matching against the (top of the) stack or something.

* learn shithub, or gitless...

NEXT MEETING: US 2-3pm Tue 12,  NZ 12-12 Wed 13