[Grace-core] Scala vs Java

James Noble kjx at ecs.vuw.ac.nz
Fri Aug 8 21:42:05 PDT 2014

> We have most of them in Grace and the others seem less important.

the main one we don't have being multiline strings.
which I still wonder about.

> I would move case classes to the top of the list--it's such a drag that a basic data-holder class in Java requires 10-20 lines of code per field.

so we have now e.g.

object {
def field1 is public = ...
def field2 is public = ...
}

which should define == & != but not an extract method

(or potentially)

object is pubic {
inherits grace.value
def field1 = ...
def field2 = ...
}

which might also define an extract method.
The catch in Grace is, with a strong separation of types & classes,
you'd also need to define a type if you wanted to match agains these.
Something like:

type MyStructure = {
field1 -> Unknown
field2 -> Unknown