[Grace-core] New Grace Editor/Compiler

Kim Bruce kim at cs.pomona.edu
Sat Jul 12 08:40:29 PDT 2014

I've been using the new Grace Editor/Compiler and have a few comments/suggestions

1:  While hovering over controls provides some information, this user interface will be a mystery for novices.  I'd rather see buttons with labels (either on the buttons or to the side of them).

2.  There is no indication of a program error aside from a red "x" next to the offending line.  That is fine when the complete program is visible, but with programs over 30 lines, the error may not be visible on the screen.  At that point your only clue that there is an error is that the  "run" triangle is not green.  A brief message with a line number that could be clicked on would be ideal.

3.  I'd also like to see something more concrete than the spinning arrow showing that the program is compiling.  Perhaps a status label?

4.  I would like to see a button to "reload" a file that is already in the system.  Right now I am deleting the old file and then reopening the file.  While a student could do all their editing in the browser, my preferred way of working is to edit in emacs and then load the file (admittedly I adopted that because of issues with the old editor, but I suspect many people will still prefer to work that way).