[Grace-core] Is grace as statically typed as python?

Andrew P. Black black at cs.pdx.edu
Sun May 4 10:40:52 PDT 2014

On 2 May 2014, at 15:22, Marco Servetto <marco.servetto at gmail.com> wrote:

> In the same way, in many dynamically typed languages I could write a
> library that reflectively read the source code and do some check... I
> could do that in python/JS easily.

Marco,

I see two differences between Grace and Python in this respect.

(1) Grace has a syntax for types: both type constant declarations and type annotations.  This syntax is part of the language.  No so for Python.

(2) The checker mechanism is part of the language.  Any particular checker is defined by a dialect, but the mechanism itself is part of  the language.  Writing a checker does not require looking at the source code, which (correct me if I’m wrong) is the way that Python works.