[Grace-core] Frustrations working on Minigrace

James Noble kjx at ecs.vuw.ac.nz
Tue May 20 16:30:00 PDT 2014

Andrew

I quite agree - certainly we have to manage this transition from a single-student PhD project
to a much wider base

> I know that minigrace is research-quality software.  I don't expect everything to be perfect.  I expect there to be some bugs — but I also expect that it should be possible to contribute fixes to make it better, and that the majority of my time (not all, but the large majority) should be spent working on code, not working around the infrastructure.
>
> I think that we need to seriously look at our processes.

Tim starts as an RA in mid-June; what he's contract to do is:

* software support for Grace teaching trial - bug fixing, refinements, error messages, libraries
* establishing build & test & issue reporting engineering infrastructure for minigrace
* research and development for future Grace specifications and implementations.

I know I keep saying "soon" - but I really hope this time "soon" is getting "sooner"!