[Grace-core] Grace - What about delegation?

James Noble kjx at ecs.vuw.ac.nz
Sun Aug 2 19:29:05 PDT 2015

Hi François

thanks for your interest in Grace.

Yes we did leave out delegation — or rather we have so far, although we are due to look at our inheritance design again as we try to finalise a v1.0 version of the language.

the long answer is due to be written in a paper when we get around to it!

the short answer is that delegation turns out to be more difficult than one might expect in a language with per-instance slot encapsulation (Self dropped this), executable object constructors (Self object literals build singletons and run in the global “lobby” scope), and where we need to support flexible object initialisation for libraries.

earlier versions of Grace’s inheritance semantics were pretty much based on delegation, but experience, particularly with the ObjectDraw library, moved us towards the current semantics.

but this is something we are still actively mulling over

cheers

James