[Grace-core] Strings

James Noble kjx at ecs.vuw.ac.nz
Mon Feb 2 13:00:26 PST 2015

On 28/01/2015, at 06:33 am, Lex Spoon <lex at lexspoon.org> wrote:

> Go does not have that constraint, and they went with narrow, byte-based strings. That strikes me as a good choice. Java, JavaScript, and the Microsoft foundation libraries all use wide strings, but it hasn't worked out very well in practice.

Lex - right - but as Michael pointed out, that will be difficult to understand, especially for novices, when iterating through the string produces bytes, not characters.  Or am I missing something here?

being able to write this seems quite important to me - James

def myName = "Pélé  ℬヂコ"

print "whole name: {myName}"
print "each character"
for (myName) do { char - > print(char) }