[Grace-core] Comment proposal

Michael Homer mwh at ecs.vuw.ac.nz
Wed Feb 4 12:46:33 PST 2015

On Thu, Feb 5, 2015 at 8:28 AM, James Noble <kjx at ecs.vuw.ac.nz> wrote:
> I think Michael's argument can be summarised as:
>    "restricting comment locations
>     makes attaching them to the AST easy (for the implementer)
>     and predictable (for the programer)
In particular, if you have to understand what a "syntactic unit" is
and is not, it's not predictable. Novice programmers are not
linguists. (Experienced programmers are also not linguists.)
>     and enforces good style (on the programmer)"
As well, the fact of comment semantics means that "good style" may be
different than it is in other languages.

Having one place for comments and prohibiting them elsewhere is a
better rule than having many places and prohibiting them in many
others.
-Michael