[Grace-core] Draft Minutes of Teleconference 9-10.2.2014

James Noble kjx at ecs.vuw.ac.nz
Thu Feb 12 03:22:08 PST 2015

* we mostly talked about comments

> 1. should comments be permitted anywhere?
   yes

> 2. do we permit comments on the same line as code?
    partial-line-comments - yes we do.

> 3. if only in some places, which ones? :-)
    N/A

> 4. how do comments attach to code/AST

I was hoping to define this more clearly,  tying down what is a "logical line" (aka "syntactic unit")
but this will have to do for now. The intention is that expressions, declarations, and object and
type literals will be logical lines / syntatic units for the purpose of comment attachment.

cases:
 * standalone comment in middle of codeSequence -> standalone comment node in the enclosing code sequence

 * comment before code -> attach to next next "logical line"
 * comment after code -> attach to preceding "logical line"
 * comment both before and after code
      - if in the middle of a logical line, attach to that logical line
      - if not, standalone comment
 * partial-line-comments -> attach to logical line of code preceding the comment

(promotion special case: if the first thing inside a method body or type body or blah is a standalone comment
   that standalone comment is promoted to decorate the method / type/ object/ class )

Kim's Law: if people do stupid things, the result should be stupid.

 * We'd like to be able to play with Michael's prototype  *

other things to discuss later:
 * var := vs =
 * blank lines - do we have continuation lines or indentation rules
 * clean up spec - declaration vs definition.
 * andrew's list...