[Grace-core] Teaching intro study

Kim Bruce kbbruce47 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 10:05:51 PDT 2015

I just committed the paper "Teaching Introductory Programming: A
Quantitative Evaluation of Different Approaches" by THEODORA KOULOURI,
STANISLAO LAURIA, and ROBERT D. MACREDIE to the Background Papers section
of the svn repository.  It talks about a study comparing Java and Python.
The comparisons actually made seem pretty minimal (give students a bunch of
simple assignments to complete in an hour), and there are lots of things to
criticize about it (they compared teaching procedural programming in Java
and Python, where Java is clearly not designed for procedural programming),
but it gives a model of the kinds of measurements we might make in running
a careful evaluation this fall at Pomona.