[Grace-core] Minutes of Teleconference 8-9.6.2015

James Noble kjx at ecs.vuw.ac.nz
Mon Jun 8 19:15:10 PDT 2015

talked generally about stuff :-)

* Michael introduced Kernan
* James will refactor the spec (and move to github)
* Tim will talk to Kelvin about the web editor
* Kim asked - what to tell people
  - each impl lead (Andrew, Michael, Michael, Tim) should make a page on the blog
     - name; status; how to *use* it;   where the source is;  how to contribute to it (w/ links)

* issue tracker - for language design? spec?
 move the spec and libraries document from svn to gracelang/language
 we shall also put the style guide in here.

** Comments into syntax tree - Reid asked
  * can we separate representation in AST versus - where comments are permitted?
       (probably not but will try anyway)
  * design:  every node gets a “comment” accessor returning a list of Comments
       Comments have a field called “text” that has the text of the comment.
  * Question of where comments get attached remain open.

** Confirmed decisions from last week
  - spaces are required around infix operators - Andrew gracefully conceded (under pressure)
  - spaces permitted but not required after prefix operators
  - empty varargs lists written ()
    - in one-part requests, you may omit the () even if the request is implemented by a one-part name with varargs
    - you can’t use () anywhere else
  - semicolons - should we be allowed to write BASIC code like true;false;0x34:
      “Code may follow a semicolon on the same line only if the whole statement sequence is on the same line”

** usual time next week
 * main topic: dotted classes
 * to do or not to do
 * if we dot, can we inherit from method { objec } constructs, or not

** add to the minor list: exception to spaces rule for “@“ “..” operators
** add to the list: syntax for generic parameters;
** add to the list: collection literals vs varargs