[Grace-core] Names, names, names

Andrew P Black andrew.p.black at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 13:51:10 PDT 2015

On 17 Jun 2015, at 11:23 , Kim Bruce <kbbruce47 at gmail.com> wrote:

> The top type in Grace is Object.  What is the name of the top class in Grace, the one that other classes implicitly inherit from.  I only need to know to insert an explanation in my text.  Object and Top aren't recognized, and putting in Object as a superclass (not surprisingly) generates errors when you try to use the inherited methods.
>
> I couldn't find any of this in the spec, and it likely should be there.

We decided (in the conference room at Claremont, IIRC) that it's called graceObject.  It is mentioned in the spec, in section 10, but isn't actually defined there.

It's also not implemented in either of the minigrace code generators.

Programmers never need to refer to graceObject.  If they want one, they can write it

	object { }

So we did discuss not giving it a name at all.

If we agree that we want it to have a name, I'll just add

	factory method graceObject { }

to the standard prelude.