[Grace-core] GraceDocs

Kim Bruce kbbruce47 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 16:21:44 PDT 2015

Reid has been working hard at developing GraceDocs, a program written in
Grace that extracts documentation from Grace code and presents it in html.
A demo of the kind of things it produces can be found at:
http://www.cs.pomona.edu/~kim/GraceStuff/GRACEDOCS/
(This is a temporary URL as we are still recovering from our systems
melt-down.)

The files shown are generated from the objectdraw library, which is on
GitHub at
https://github.com/gracelang/objectdraw/blob/master/objectdraw.grace

Features include: a high-level listing of public types, classes, and
methods defined in the module (file).  If defs or vars have public access
(or readable or writable), the corresponding methods are listed.  E.g.,
red, green, and blue are public defs in class color, so they are listed as
parameterless methods of class color.

Most types and classes that appear may be clicked on to get more detailed
views of their features.  Currently links to features not in the objectdraw
file are not live (including built-in types like Number, String, etc.)

There are options to show all features or only the public ones.  You are
seeing the results for when only public features are selected.

While it is still incomplete we are interested in feedback and suggestions
for improvements.  Here are things we know need to be done:
1.  Add info on built-in types and on imports and dialects
2.  Alphabetize the lists of features to make them easier to find.
3.  Add return types to classes (showing the type of object generated)

Mainly at this point we are looking for general feedback on what it does
and how it looks.  It still needs a lot of work, but I think it is a great
start, and even now is pretty usable.  (Among other things, it made clear
that more comments were needed in the objectdraw code!).