[Grace-core] Names for the […] literal

James Noble kjx at ecs.vuw.ac.nz
Wed Feb 3 00:00:29 PST 2016

> On 3/02/2016, at 20:21pm, Kim Bruce <kbbruce47 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I actually like “a run” the best, but am afraid it would confuse people with the run of a program.  Thus I would go with “series”.  After all the stuff generated by .. is a simple arithmetic series.

Michael & Tim & I talked about this this afternoon.

They both hated the idea of chain/run/bunch/ etc
Tim was for “list” (I guess with the maximal interface) and “mutableList” I think for mutable lists.

how about sequence (or seq) for [] (immutable non-indexable);
list for immutable indexable;
array for mutable indexable;

(we need names for interfaces as well, of course)

I meant to ask explicitly,  should the “[ ]”’s interface be minimal (just iteration and say size) or maximal (a collection).
I _think_ Michael is for minimal (that’s VariadicList in Kernan) while Tim would be maximal.
Minimal certainly decouples this built-in object from the library - but Java I guess is a warning for doing it the other way.