[Grace-core] Minutes of Teleconference 16-17.2.2016

James Noble kjx at ecs.vuw.ac.nz
Wed Feb 17 03:25:17 PST 2016

Hi all

so I found that meeting quite intense - but also productive, which is good.

- Wadlerfest paper galleys:  https://www.sps-eproof.sps.co.in/LNCS_BWF/Chkdt.aspx?rfp=sA16QU3N51518x4
*TODO ANDREW* *JAMES TO READ*

- Suggested timetable working towards the workshop…
  will be up on the workshop website   *JAMES TO DO*

- Process for making progress on the spec and stuff:
 - spec is now here, in markdown: https://github.com/gracelang/language
 - James has changed the labels so there are labels to indicate priority.
 - they are described briefly in the readme.md file.

to get all the highest priority issues
bookmark this link - https://github.com/gracelang/language/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3A1%3Anow
I’ll endeavour to update those before each meeting

### RESOLVED
  - valueOf
  - primitive array API incl sort
  - overloading by arity

### TRAITS

discusion questions:
 * Kim: should traits capture state?   YES
 * Michael: restriction on defs & vars is purely syntatic - is that what we want?
         how and why are the initialisation semantics and traits being tied together?
 * Andrew: makes more sense to be additive and subtractive
 * Kim: the meaning of alias - is *shallow*  (renaming a dcln doesn’t rename a request)

still open issues:
- Q: does the trait shortcut permit non-type parameters? https://github.com/gracelang/language/issues/58
- Q: where and how should trait composition errors be raised?    https://github.com/gracelang/language/issues/59
- Q: overriding vs aliasing / excluding -  https://github.com/gracelang/language/issues/44
plus a bunch left over from last time

** NEXT MEETING same time next week 23-24 Feb **

(stuff carried over - this list will migrate into the issue tracker if that works out)

### DEFAULT METHODS
- do we want “trait constructors’ without them?  or “objects” without them, or what?
- or are they special cased in the trait composition rules or class or trait forms?
    https://github.com/gracelang/language/issues/38
    (for kjx reference only: https://github.com/gracelang/language/issues/39#issuecomment-183753964)
- what are the _default methods_ - https://github.com/gracelang/language/issues/49
- where are default methods defined (trait grace.defaultMethods)
- and do classes inherit them or use them?

### DNF FOR TYPES
- https://github.com/gracelang/language/issues/48

### ONCE METHODS
- what’s the syntax for once methods - https://github.com/gracelang/language/issues/41

### UNICODE VS ASCII equivalents
- https://github.com/gracelang/language/issues/18
- on a mac, coöverrides is much easier to find out how to type than ≠