[Grace-interest] Grace @ ECOOP+PLDI; release of minigrace

James Noble kjx at ecs.vuw.ac.nz
Sun Jun 10 03:51:02 PDT 2012

Hi all

Several Grace folks will be at ECOOP+PLDI in Beijing in this week.

In particular:
	• Mon 11 June – Michael Homer will talk about Grace at STOP
	• Wed 13 June – James Noble will give a PLDI tutorial on Grace

Andrew will be in Beijing for the PLDI half of the week, and James and Michael around for the whole week. If you’re interested in Grace, come to one of these talks, or we’d love to catch up with you some other time this week.

In other news, we have (slowly) released "minigrace", an early prototype
compiler for Grace, that handles most of the dynamically typed parts
of the language, and is getting better on types & generics.  Minigrace
was built in Wellington by Michael Homer, with Tim Jones & Jan Larres
joining in this year.

minigrace is nowhere near production quality: but it does work - it is self-hosted
on C, on JavaScript (accessible on a web page), and (temporarily) to Java.
We have some projects starting to experiment with libraries and APIs,
and to get a feeling for the language as a whole.

details are here:   http://gracelang.org/applications/minigrace/

if you're keen, there is yet another mailing list for details about the implementation

cheers

James