[Grace-core] student worker

James Noble kjx at ecs.vuw.ac.nz
Fri Oct 29 16:39:05 PDT 2010

Hi Kim

> I have a student who is quite anxious to work on Grace and has free
> time this semester (probably more than he will have next semester).

that's great. Of course we should take advantage of him if we can.

> He is a junior who is now in my programming languages course and
> will likely take compilers next term.  I'd like to start giving him
> things to do.  I could imagine having him do several different kinds
> of things.  Possibilities include

OK, I've got some idea

> 1.  Writing sample code
> 2.  Starting the design of a context free grammar for the language.

I fondly hope we have *most* of the design decisions for this sorted
now,
so it should just be a small matter of programming :-)

> 3.  Writing a parser and/or type checker

I'm getting increasingly concerned about the type system.
Without at type system, Python would be a better choice.

> 4.  Investigating different ways of expressing features (e.g.,
> bounded polymorphism, constructors, types annotations in a
> dynamically typed language, etc.).

I'm not sure how this would feed into the language design.
If we can't do it, the student would have to be very good
at both design & communication to add value, I fear.

> What do you think?  I know it would be easier if he could wait a
> semester, but he wants to start now and likely won't have as much
> time next term (and likely won't be available in the summer).  I'm
> also tempted to give him access to our trak wiki.

I'm lucky, in that most of my students (if I'm allocated any) will
start in Feb
I have a couple of 2nd yr students who are going to look at Squeak &
Newspeak.
I've wondered about retargeting them at Grace, but figure that will be
enough for now.
they're not as far along as your student.
(if your guy or someone else came up e.g. with an interpreter we could
point
them at that)

> What do you think?

I'm for it - if only because it will force us to come up with more
language design.
Andrew?