[Grace-core] Objectdraw library for graphics in Grace

James Noble kjx at ecs.vuw.ac.nz
Sun Jun 9 15:05:35 PDT 2013

HI all

catching up on email - last week I was an observer at WG2.3 - it was quite intense -
Tony Hoare started the meeting with a magisterial talk for an hour, with no notes and no slides, completely from memory...

I didn't measure up - perhaps because I didn't talk about Grace?

anyway:

> I've ported the objectdraw library from Java to Grace, built on top of gtk+.  I've attached a document describing the current state of the library.  There are also links in the document to the library files and to sample programs.

Kim, this looks really good - and not just a library but documentation as well!

> Feedback would be gratefully welcomed, especially about the API design.  Once the timer features are added to the gtk+ features available in Grace I'll add examples of programs using animations.

sound like a plan. I think we need to have things to prod at
before we can finalise things like APIs etc.

> I consider the design to be preliminary at this point.  There are a couple of points of awkwardness resulting from (known) unresolved problems with initialization and inheritance and similar issues.  I also may want to make some changes after experimenting adding real buttons and other GUI components in windows along with the canvas.

and also seeing how it works with the JS DOM backend...

good to have this, though!