[Grace-core] Google summer of code

Kim Bruce kim at cs.pomona.edu
Mon Mar 18 13:44:29 PDT 2013

I have registered as organization administrator for the Google Summer of Code.  The following is a tentative list of responses to questions that will likely be on the application (which I have not yet been able to access).

Kim

Grace Collective

(The following are responses to questions posted at http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2013/help_page#2._What_should_a_mentoring_organization

1.  The Grace collective is an organization of individuals who are contributing to the design and implementation of Grace, a new object-oriented language aimed at teaching novices good programming design and implementation.

2.  While we have been working on the design of Grace since the summer of 2010.  The language design has now progressed to the point where we are ready to shift from experimental implementations to high quality compilers and tools that can be used reliably by novices.  Through the Summer of Code we hope to develop high quality implementations of compilers, interactive development environments, and libraries for Grace.  Moreover, we are looking for programmers who can help develop language dialects that can be used to provide simpler or more restricted versions of the language when students are just starting out.

3.  We have not participated in the Google Summer of Code before.

4. N.A.

5.  We have not applied for the summer of code before.

6. All code is released under GNU General Public License version 3.0 (GPL-3.0)

7.  The ideas list is available at www.gracelang.org/documents/GSOCIdeas.html

9.  No IRC channels used

10.  Organization administrator:  Kim Bruce, Pomona College

Backup Organization administrators:  Andrew Black, Portland State University, and James Noble, Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand

11. The mentors will be the three faculty leaders of the project, Kim Bruce, Andrew Black, and James Noble, as well as Noble’s graduate student Michael Homer, who has been the lead implementer of the project.

12.  The plan for dealing with disappearing students is to hunt them down … J

13.  With the four mentors deeply involved in the project on a daily basis we expect no difficulty in keeping the mentors engaged.  If any difficulties arise (e.g., due to illness), the other will take over the role.  We anticipate having a lead mentor and back-up mentor assigned to each student involved in our project.

14.  Before the project begins we encourage students to look through the extensive documentation on the language and the design process at our main web page, www.gracelang.org, as well as to examine existing code for the minigrace compiler (written in Grace), the partial implementations in DrRacket, and the (now out of date) libraries developed for data structures, graphics, and event-driven programming in Grace.  The documentation includes the language specification and several papers published on the language.

15.  We are a new organization.  The following Googlers can vouch for us: …

16.  N.A.

17.  As we develop teaching materials and better implementations of the language we will encourage our students to stay involved with the project by critiquing the software and the associated materials.  We expect to publish papers based on the summer work that will have the involved students as co-authors.