[Grace-core] Frustrations working on Minigrace

Lex Spoon lex at lexspoon.org
Wed May 21 06:47:16 PDT 2014

Is anyone running a Jenkins instance over the Grace code? It would help
with the chaos Andrew describes:

1. It makes it really obvious when something breaks. Maintainers should
prioritize unbreaking the builder over everything else.

2. It becomes a pact among the developers about what is *expected* to work.
Nothing is considered done until it's on the builder.

Regarding GitHub, my experience has been quite good, but I'm sure it
depends on how it is used. The way I'm familiar with, nothing gets merged
to the main line development branch without getting a review. Those reviews
are logged, and if you want to know why something was deleted, it ought to
be possible to pull up the review approval for the deletion.

GitHub also has issue tracking, if you don't already have some other server
for that.

Best wishes sorting this stuff out. We've all been there, and it's a
miserable use of time to spend hours getting something to work that
everyone is la-dee-dah saying is already working.

Lex Spoon