[Grace-core] Minutes of Teleconference 25-25.5.2015

James Noble kjx at ecs.vuw.ac.nz
Mon May 25 17:32:49 PDT 2015

Talked about what we’re doing:
  - Michael is working on “reference” implementation in C# / mono
 - Tim is looking to finish his thesis this year
 - Kim is starting on coursework etc

We are trying to et some publications to justify funding for SLE/DLS
 - Michael is working on the generalised messages “bad idea"
 - Tim is working on annotations (dynamics and statically)

Are spaces required around INFIX operators: YES
Spaces are permitted but not required after prefix operators

Can infix operators go at the end of lines? YES (so long as you indent the next one obviously)

Semicolons - should we be allowed to write BASIC code like true;false;0x34:  NO
  Michael is passionately against multiple statements on the same line.
  Semicolons are kept for the time being for Eelco…

We discussed around varargs / operator messages
 nailing down current varargs “()” rules
  - you can write () to pass an empty ‘varargs list”
  - in one-part requests, you can omit the () even if the request is implemented by a one-apart name with varargs
  - you can’t use () for anything else ???

James other option - replacing varargs with collection literals
 - IF we went with collection literals, could we just remove all the varargs stuff?
   => at least the collection literals would have to be “varargs”
   => could go into discussion section of the paper

* we would like a style guide…
* comments need to go back on the todo list!

next week - usual time!