[Grace-core] Should Grace abandon "gradual typing" for "like typing"?

James Noble kjx at ecs.vuw.ac.nz
Wed Jul 27 07:05:24 PDT 2016

On 28/07/2016, at 1:46AM, Andrew P. Black <black at cs.pdx.edu> wrote:

> Can you summarize the changes that you are proposing to the current Grace semantics?

I think I'm not proposing any changes to the "current" Grace semantics.

I think I'm proposing that we don't investigate any of the more fancy sound, blame-carrying, etc gradual typing proposals and rather just stick with the
existing semantcs --- and point people to Thorn if anyone complains.

Declare victory and move on, in other words - in particular to seeing how we can ensure adding more types doesn't make a program slower.

If we wanted to go the whole hog we could add in their "concrete" types too,
but I don't think we *have* to do that.