[Grace-core] Should Grace abandon "gradual typing" for "like typing"?

Andrew P. Black black at cs.pdx.edu
Wed Jul 27 08:10:37 PDT 2016

> On 27 Jul 2016, at 7:05, James Noble <kjx at ecs.vuw.ac.nz> wrote:
>
> I think I'm proposing that we don't investigate any of the more fancy sound, blame-carrying, etc gradual typing proposals and rather just stick with the
> existing semantcs --- and point people to Thorn if anyone complains.
>
> Declare victory and move on, in other words - in particular to seeing how we can ensure adding more types doesn't make a program slower.

To me, those two things seem to contradict each other.

My take on gradual typing — coming form the dynamic typing end rather than the static typing end — is that it’s all about figuring out how to ensure that adding more types does not slow down the program.   I think that Jeremy would say this differently — he’s looking at how to introduce the minimal number of type checks when adding type Unknown to  an otherwise statically-typed program.   But I think that it amounts to the same thing.