[Grace-core] NS inheritance cannot work for grace

kjx kjx at ecs.vuw.ac.nz
Tue Nov 28 21:59:37 PST 2017

On 28/11/2017, at 18:07PM, Richard Roberts <rykardo.r at gmail.com> wrote:

> So, I'm coming to the realization that SOMns inheritance cannot work,

Hmm.  I'm still not sure how much of that is to do with issues of SOM(ns)
and how much to the "flexibility" (or "undefinedness") of Grace's inheritance model.

So I just typed up a long rant, and to be a good citizen, lodged it as an issue.

https://github.com/gracelang/language/issues/134

TL;DR - our current definitions seem simultaneously very flexible
but in some ways very restrictive too.  Part of this is due to the
two-way articulation between declarations and idioms; part of
it due to the current wording of the inheritance rules.

I can see two options at this point: either reduce the flexibility
making Grace's inheritance rather more static and clearly defined
(what Michael used to call "real classes") or accept the flexibility
of JS and raw Truffle, and adopt a highly dynamic model.

flame away