[Grace-core] Class syntax and type parameters

Michael Homer mwh at ecs.vuw.ac.nz
Thu Nov 13 11:08:11 PST 2014

On 14 Nov 2014 07:31, "Andrew P. Black" <black at cs.pdx.edu> wrote:

> On 11 Nov 2014, at 16:20, Michael Homer <mwh at ecs.vuw.ac.nz> wrote:
>
> Michael, if you move your sentences out of the passive voice and give
them subjects, I think that you
> will find that you are saying that you never found a use for inheritance
between classes.  ("It’s intended that" =>
> "I intended that”).  That’s fair enough.  But I did find such a use:
 four classes (sequence, list, set, dictionary)
> that all share the same methods (empty, with, withAll)).
I said nothing whatsoever about uses. I said this was outside the design
intent, which was discussed at length.

Fundamentally, I'm saying that your library design is unsuitable and
unidiomatic. Design for the language you've got, not the language you wish
you had. (Or, change the language).
>> I get the impression from this that you saw enabling this sort of
>> approach as a deliberate part of the design,
>

> Yes, I certainly see sharing of code between objects as a fundamental
part of the design of inheritance in Grace.
Now this is just willfully obtuse.
-Michael